Select Page

Apostle islands

historic preservation conservancy

restoration projects

The Conservancy’s Board has determined that one of the strongest contributions that can be made by the organization is to supplement the capabilities of governmental entities and other nonprofit groups in restoring and maintaining historically-significant buildings and structures throughout the region.

National Trust for Historic Preservation (2014):
AIHPC recommends to National Park Service that Sand and Rocky Island properties be treated as priorities for historic leasing to reduce federal funding and maintenance backlog problems and promote historic preservation.
Friends of the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore/Raspberry Island Boathouse (Ongoing)
Over several years, the Conservancy has made donations to the historic preservation fund of the Friends, which is raising money to restore the Raspberry Island Light station boathouse under the direction of the National Park Service.
West Bay Club Lodge (2007-2013):
As approved by the National Park Service, a focal point of AIHPC restoration work has been the historic West Bay Club Lodge on Sand Island.  This property is located within the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore.  Fee title is held by the United States, with a life estate held by Howard Peters of Mellen, Wisconsin.
Washburn Memorial Park Kitchen (2008-2009):
The AIHPC supported the City of Washburn in its efforts to restore the Memorial Park kitchen. Established in 1919, the DuPort Patriotic Committee donated the Park to the City. The Park serves as a memorial to the soldiers, sailors, and marines of Washburn who fought in World War I.
St. Anthony Mission Church, Belanger Settlement (2008-2012):
The Belanger Settlement is a small, isolated hamlet approximately ten miles west of Bayfield, with a rich Native American heritage.  The residents of the community have formed an active historical society that has taken ownership of the historic St. Anthony Mission Church (1899), which once served as a center of community life.
Christ Episcopal Church (2011):
The Conservancy provided a grant to the Christ Episcopal Church to cover unexpected expenses incurred to replace rotten wood during the restoration process of this historic building, built in 1870 and considered one of the key landmarks in the city of Bayfield.
Red Cliff Band of Lake Superior Chippewa Cemetery (2011-2012):
The Belanger Settlement is a small, isolated hamlet approximately ten miles west of Bayfield, with a rich Native American heritage.  The residents of the community have formed an active historical society that has taken ownership of the historic St. Anthony Mission Church (1899), which once served as a center of community life.

DONATIONS

The Conservancy is an IRS-approved 501(c)(3) charitable organization. All donations are deductible for income tax purposes. Donations may be made to the Conservancy’s general fund or designated for a specific purpose. Donations may be sent to:

Secretary AIHPC

P.O. Box 88

Bayfield Wisconsin, 54814